The process for filing a complaint against a Community Mental Health Center:
1) Every Community Mental Health Center has it’s own process for filing a complaint.
2) You have the right to ask the involved Community Mental Health Center for their complaint and appeal process.
3) You must exhaust all steps of their complaint and appeal process.
4) If you still have not been satisfied with their action, you may contact the director of the Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health at 801-538-3939.
Filing a Complaint Against a Licensed Professional
To file a complaint against a licensed professional at a Community Mental Health Center:
- Contact the Community Mental Health Center and/or
- Division of Professional Licensing (DOPL) at 801-530-6628 or Toll Free in Utah at 866-275-3675. For more information or to file a complaint on line.
Filing a Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) Complaint
To file a "HIPPA" complaint, you should contact your provider's HIPPA coordinator
If you believe that a covered entity violate your (or someone else's) health information privacy rights or committed another violation of the Privacy Rule, you may file a complaint with the:
Office for Civil Rights (OCR) - HIPPA
For complete HIPPA complaint information go to: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html
For a Fact Sheet on "How to file a health information privacy complaint with the Office for Civil Rights" click here.